Northgate is not an area that I focus on but I thought this was a really interesting development. As most of us shopaholics know, major renovation work has been taking place at the Northgate Mall.
What you may not have noticed is the Thornton Place project scheduled for completion in the spring of 2009. This six-acre project is being developed by Lorig, a real estate development and management company, in partnership with Stellar Holdings and ERA Care communities.
This mixed-use urban village includes retail space, residential condos and apartments, and the restoration of a portion of The Thornton Creek Water Quality Channel. The concrete parking lot will be converted into a pedestrian and Eco friendly neighborhood.
Here are some highlights:
- The project consists of 109 condos and 278 apartments, both available in studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom floor plans. Both residential buildings will include numerous amenities such as community room, fitness facility, and business room/ conference center.
- Thornton Place will also be offering 143 private residences for retirement living developed by Era Living. The senior living development will also be able to access the new open green space and the retail amenities through pedestrian walk-ways.
- They are targeting LEED Silver certification. The unit interiors will feature water efficient fixtures and energy Star appliances and will be finished with low-emitting paints, adhesives, and carpets.
- Almost three acres of green space, including day lighting and restoration of a portion of the Thornton Creek Water Quality channel will be created for residents and the general public.
- There will be a network of walking and bicycle paths and a new park-and-ride station with transportation connections to downtown Seattle and the Eastside.
The condominiums are scheduled to begin selling this summer. Other than the South Lake Union development, Thornton Place is probably the next largest development in Seattle.
For home buyers with tighter budgets and are willing to have a slightly longer commute in exchange for the convenience of living in a green area while being close to all the shopping of the Northgate mall, Thornton place definitely seems worth a look.